Thursday 30 October 2014

Mother Knows Best

a poetic response to "The Sound of the Hollyhocks" by H. Garner

There he was, not in body, but in soul
A treasure buried beneath the ground but forever trapped
Oh son, why did you have to go? What made you get the rope?
Was it the doctor who made you stay, or the girl that faded away?

I did everything for you, everything I could
I gave you status, money, and life of pure content
You could've been rich beyond wild belief and had a wife who was the same
Yet you married that wench thinking that all would be fun and games

She didn't do anything for you, she didn't care
She's the one that left you in despair
You had the burdens, she had nothing to strain
She was just a dog looking for a good bone

If only you let me take you away
I would've kept you safe, would've kept you alive
If only you knew that she was the real reason that you were in that dreaded place
Her death left a mark that couldn't be erased

I kept you from anything that could be in harm's way
They always say "Mother knows best", but nobody told you that it seems
Now all I have left is an empty feeling in my heart
And a flower to remind me of that devil of a girl



No comments:

Post a Comment